The Muslim Ordinance 1957 which established the Syariah Court came into operation on 25 November 1958. Syariah Court was originally housed in a bungalow at Fort Canning Park together with the Registry of Muslim Marriages.
On 1 January 1978 , Syariah Court was relocated to Pearl’s Hill and in 1988 it moved to the Ministry of Community Development, Youth & Sports at Thomson Road. On 21 December 2009 , Syariah Court moved to its current location at Family Link @ Lengkok Bahru.
The Muslim Ordinance 1957 was repealed by the Administration of Muslim Law Act (AMLA) in July 1968. The Act defines the functions and powers of three key Muslim institutions, namely the Islamic Religious Council of Singapore, the Registry of Muslim Marriages and the Syariah Court. Improvements were made to the Act in 1999 and 2009. In 1999, the Act was amended to strengthen the powers of the Syariah Court and more resources were channeled for the Court to manage the backlog of cases . In 2009, the AMLA was again amended to make it easier for Muslims to enforce Orders made by the Syariah Court. Syariah Court orders will no longer need to be registered in a District Court before they are enforceable. Individuals can lodge a Magistrate’s complaint at the District Court for breach of Syariah Court orders.